Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
You can learn more about giving opportunities at Presbyterian Village at Hollidaysburg, part of the Presbyterian Senior Living network of communities, from our list of frequently asked questions or you can contact Dawn Garrity, Foundation Director, at (814) 693-4085 or via email.
- Why should I give to Presbyterian Senior Living or one of its communities?
Many people have generously donated to purchase items or pay for projects that improve the quality of resident life at our communities or expand the services we offer. This has ranged from paying for electric beds, Wii entertainment systems and special wheelchairs to new wheelchair accessible vans, skilled nursing center renovations, and construction of aquatic and fitness centers.
In our entire history, no one has ever been asked to leave the Presbyterian Senior Living system of care because they had outlived their resources. This means if a person does not divest or give away assets, we have an unwavering history of keeping our commitment to the people we serve. Just as the church calls on all of us to care for the sick, the frail, and those without funds, that is an important part of our mission and ministry. In 2008, 1,172 individuals were provided with financial assistance through charitable care in the amount of $12.6 million. Through generous gifts from individuals, churches, church organizations, Presbyteries, corporations, and foundations, residents receive care and their dignity is respected.
Our residents requiring assistance are among those who nurtured others and gave so much during the early part of their lifetime to their church and to their communities. Now it is our turn to assist them in their time of need.
- The economy is bad. I’m not sure that I can give right now.
- This is a valid concern. Everyone is impacted in some way by the current economy.
Tax incentives and donating to a stable, trustworthy organization are more important than ever. Charitable gift annuities can also be quite attractive due to the potentially higher rate of return and immediate income tax deduction.
Our need for donations continues to increase as we care for the needs of our residents. For example, the economy has caused some of them to lose significant portions of their retirement and investment accounts. Some who thought they had planned well are now realizing they may need charitable care in the future.
- Why should I give? Your communities are beautiful and the residents must be wealthy.
Bill Swaim, our organization’s first CEO, believed that “older people not only deserved adequate housing and services, they deserved surroundings that were superior to what they may have experienced throughout their lives.” Still today, Presbyterian Senior Living cares for many people who have limited resources. In some of our communities, half of the people cared for require some kind of financial subsidy. Many of these residents are receiving Personal Care and skilled nursing services. Last year, we provided more than $12.6 million in charitable care to residents.
- Can my donation be designated for a specific community?
- Yes, donations may be designated to a particular community and a specific project. There are many opportunities for giving and many methods of making a gift. Some methods can even provide income for life. Please contact our office of Mission Support, (800) 382-1385, for a confidential discussion on how we can help you accomplish your philanthropic goals.
- Does it have to be money that I give?
We appreciate non-cash donations of items, equipment, and services as long as they can be used to support our mission. This type of donation must be preapproved by the community Executive Director.
- Can I make a planned gift?
Yes, Presbyterian Senior Living accepts beneficial designations of life insurance policies and qualified retirement plans, bequests, and gifts of assets transferred to us or a trust in exchange for current income. A representative from our office of Mission Support would be happy to discuss options and provide transfer instructions or prepare an illustration on the benefits of any of the arrangements above. Please contact us (800) 382-1385.
- Will my gift be tax deductible?
- All gifts to Presbyterian Senior Living or one of its communities are tax deductible. However, we strongly encourage all prospective donors to consult with their own tax and legal advisors for a discussion of the tax implications of their gifts.